As a young, dynamic and growing company, PowerPhotonic offers staff a challenging and rewarding career opportunity. Its engineering ethos is embedded in the culture of the organisation and the ability to work at the cutting edge of technology will be enough for many to consider PowerPhotonic a natural choice to further their career.
Headquartered in Dalgety Bay near Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, PowerPhotonic is situated in modern spacious offices with excellent facilities. The company offers a breadth of opportunity that few others can offer in Europe. Working in the heart of the company really does make a difference. If you have a significant contribution to make, we’ll make sure it is significant for your success and the success of the company. But for many, the opportunity to move to Scotland will be a key attraction. Scotland is a great place to live and work. The countryside and beaches, rivers and glens are world renowned and all within easy reach of the city centres. There is a wide choice of places to live, with lively towns and cities for those who are young or young at heart and rural communities for those who want a quieter life away from work.
We are a world-class company with the ambition to reach a global audience. No matter whether you are a graduate or an experienced engineer, an expert in optics or operations, if you want to be part of a growing company, give us a call. We are always on the lookout for dynamic talent that wants to make a difference.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic and growing company, send your c.v. and a covering letter to HR@powerphotonic.com
Our Product Development Team ensures that we stay ahead of the competition and remain the industry leader in innovation, functionality and performance.We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter to join our ambitious team as an Optical Engineer. This is an exciting opportunity to join PowerPhotonic at a key period in our continuous growth journey.
As an Optical Engineer you will be a part of our Product Development Team. You will be developing new products and supporting their transfer into production. You will manage collaborative projects and act as a technical interface to key customers and partners.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Key areas of responsibility include:
- New product development and product support:
- Analysis of customer requirements and generation of product specification
- Design and test of optical components and systems, optical system modelling
- Optimisation of design for performance and manufacturability
- Development of software tools for product design and test analysis
- Support transfer of new products into production and subsequent support to production and customer
- Providing a technical interface to key customers and partners in collaborative projects
- Act as a project manager for individual projects which involve:
- Ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery
- Ensuring projects follow the current guideline on planning, delivery and reporting
- Flagging any obstacles in delivery against internal and external commitments
- Communicating ideas and requirements for improvement in development process to Head of Product Development
- Reporting progress and outcome of development activity to Head of Product Development
- Providing technical support and coaching for new team members
- Advice on process capability requirements to support high product performance and yield
Required qualifications and experience
- A strong Master’s degree or PhD in Physics, Engineering or Optics/Lasers or a related field
- Experience and/or qualifications in optical design
- Experience in design and modelling of optical elements
- Understanding of laser beam characteristics
- Paraxial design, Gaussian beam propagation, diffraction analysis
- Design and modelling in ZEMAX or similar
- Experience and/or qualifications in product development
- Experience of working in a manufacturing environment
- Understanding of optical test methods
- Numerical analysis of data for performance modelling and optimisation using Matlab or similar
PowerPhotonic is looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multifunctional team
- Creativity – generating innovative solutions
- Flexibility - developing products addressing a range of different markets
- Customer focus – understanding and addressing (internal and external) customer requirements across different applications
- Operating in a deadline driven environment to meet customer’s schedule and internal commitments
- Ability to work under own initiative and drive progress
This is a full-time position.
Occasional travel may be required in order to attend training courses, customer visits and industrial events.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.