As a young, dynamic and growing company, PowerPhotonic offers staff a challenging and rewarding career opportunity. Its engineering ethos is embedded in the culture of the organisation and the ability to work at the cutting edge of technology will be enough for many to consider PowerPhotonic a natural choice to further their career.
Headquartered in Dalgety Bay near Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, PowerPhotonic is situated in modern spacious offices with excellent facilities. The company offers a breadth of opportunity that few others can offer in Europe. Working in the heart of the company really does make a difference. If you have a significant contribution to make, we’ll make sure it is significant for your success and the success of the company. But for many, the opportunity to move to Scotland will be a key attraction. Scotland is a great place to live and work. The countryside and beaches, rivers and glens are world renowned and all within easy reach of the city centres. There is a wide choice of places to live, with lively towns and cities for those who are young or young at heart and rural communities for those who want a quieter life away from work.
We are a world-class company with the ambition to reach a global audience. No matter whether you are a graduate or an experienced engineer, an expert in optics or operations, if you want to be part of a growing company, give us a call. We are always on the lookout for dynamic talent that wants to make a difference.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic and growing company, send your c.v. and a covering letter to HR@powerphotonic.com
Product Development Engineer
PowerPhotonic is a global leader in the design and manufacture of precision micro-optics for laser applications in materials processing, medical systems, and optical communications as well as the scientific and defence sector.
Our business was founded with the objective of providing unsurpassed excellence in all aspects of micro-optics product realization for laser applications. Our world-class design skills are supported by an innovative and flexible manufacturing process that allows the company to design both a broad range of state-of-the art industry standard laser micro-optics products and, uniquely, to offer a low cost rapid fabrication service for creating completely freeform optical surfaces.
Our world-leading position is founded on our deployment of laser-based manufacturing of micro-optics and advanced optical metrology. We design and build our laser-based fabrication capability in-house, along with the associated metrology and inspection systems.
Our product development is aimed at ensuring we stay ahead of the competition and remain as the industry’s leader in delivering innovation, functionality and performance.
As part of our continued growth, we are looking for a Product Development Engineer to join our ambitious team. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated self-starter to join PowerPhotonic at a key period in the company’s growth.
As a part of Product Development Team, you will report to the NPD Team Leader and be involved in all stages of the product development process from identifying customer and market requirements through to introduction into production and subsequent support. The team is also involved in other technical activities in support of sales and marketing.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Developing new and supporting existing products - analysis of customer requirements and generating product specifications, designing and testing optical components, optimising design for performance and manufacturability.
- Developing software tools for product design and test analysis.
- Supporting transfer of new products into production and from production and customer.
- Providing a technical interface to key customers and partners in collaborative projects.
- Managing individual prototyping projects - ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery.
Required qualifications and experience
A strong degree in Physics, Engineering or Optics/Lasers or a related field required. A Master’s degree or PhD would be seen as an advantage.
Previous work experience in optical design is preferred, but the company will consider recent postgraduates for this role.
Essential technical expertise:
- Design and modelling of optical elements.
- Understanding of laser beam characteristics.
- Paraxial design, Gaussian beam propagation, diffraction analysis.
- Design and modelling in ZEMAX or similar.
Desirable technical expertise:
- Experience and/or qualifications in product development.
- Experience of working in a manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of optical test methods.
- Numerical analysis of data for performance modelling and optimisation using Matlab or similar.
To enable success in this fast-paced environment we are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multifunctional team.
- Creativity – generating innovative solutions.
- Flexibility - developing products addressing a range of different markets.
- Customer focus – understanding and addressing (internal and external) customer requirements across different applications.
- Operating in a deadline driven environment to meet customer’s schedule and internal commitments.
- Ability to work under own initiative and drive progress.
This is a full-time position.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Please follow us at https://www.linkedin.com/company/powerphotonic if you would like to be notified when opportunities occur